Friday, February 28, 2014

Meyer Lemon Bars




"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." So when life gives me lemons, I will start a Meyer lemon orchard and make anything and everything with Meyer lemons. 

Ever since I started baking, I've always have a huge interest in food ingredients. One of the things that I've seen on many food blogs is Meyer lemons. This lemon is a cross breed between a regular lemon and a mandarin orange. They are sweeter and less acidic than regular lemons. They have a much aromatic smell and taste than regular lemons. 

Finally, I managed to purchase a bag of those bright golden lemons. What should I do with them? Too many lemon recipes before I narrowed it down to a couple of stuff that I really wanted to make. First up, I knew that I wanted to make lemon bars.


I never had a lemon bar in my life. 

The lemon filling was smooth and soft, but not runny. Simply luscious. It was a bright tasting desserts. The delicate, buttery crust and lemon filling provided the tangy, sweet notes to bind all the flavours together. And they definitely taste better the second day. So they are perfect for making ahead. 

All thanks to my food critics at home and workplace, the lemon bars are gone in less than a day. We find the lemon bars taste better without confectioner's sugar. 

I used Meyer lemon in this recipe, but many bakers experienced with Meyer versus regular lemon would vouch for the latter. Try the variation yourself and decide! I will. 


Meyer Lemon Bars
(Adapted from Bites Out Of Life)

Crust
  • 140g all-purpose flour
  • 50g sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 115g melted unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Lemon Topping
  • 1 regular or Meyer lemon
  • 200g sugar (As I used Meyer lemons and they are sweeter than regular lemons, I reduced the sugar to 160g)
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 4 teaspoon corn starch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 45g melted unsalted butter
  • powdered sugar, for serving (I prefer not to)

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, pressing to nudge neatly into the corners. Lightly butter or spray the surface. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, melted butter and vanilla, stirring just until smooth. Smooth the batter to the bottom of the pan, using your hands or a small offset spatula to get leveled. Bake for 25 minutes, or until deep-golden brown.
  2. While the crust is cooking, cut the whole lemon in half, remove the seeds, and cut into chunks. Put the chunks of lemon in a food processor or blender along with the sugar and lemon juice, and let it run until the lemon is completely broken up. Add the eggs, corn starch, salt and melted butter and blend until almost smooth, leaving tiny bits of lemon in the mix. 
  3. When the crust comes out of the oven, reduce the heat of the oven to 150 deg C. Pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and bake for 25 minutes or just until the filling stops jiggling and is barely set. Remove and let cool completely. Once cool, carefully lift out the bars grasping the foil. Cut the bars into squares or rectangles. Keep the bars chilled in refrigerator.
  4. Serve chilled. 
Bars keep in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days and up to a month in the freezer. 


Linking this post to Little Thumbs Up 'Lemons' hosted by Grace, Life can be simple. This is organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen from My little favourite DIY.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dalyn,

    I didn't know that the use of Meyer lemon can make detectable difference. I have to look around to see if I can find this variety of lemon. We have a lemon tree but it is eureka lemon. Nice lemon bars!!! Love their glossy luscious layers :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, this recipe votes for the use of Eureka lemons. You can try using the ones from your lemon tree. Let me know how they turn out! (:

      Delete